Friday, July 10, 2015

Preserving the Ha(y)worth Family History for Future Generations, Part 6

The last two weeks have been such a blessing!  We have gotten to spend time with children and grandchildren, so we have been very busy.  Needless to say, the priority of this blog fell dramatically.  But, sadly, it is very quite around the house right now, because everyone has left.  :( So, I am back working on the Ha(y)worth family history.  But before I do, here are some pictures of the grandkids taken while they were here.

The three oldest grandkids had a fun time together. 
The baby made us smile, just
by looking at her.  
They loved their cousin and he entertained them
all one night.  He is so great with kids.




















Our oldest grandson, with his bride, stopped
on their move to California.
We left off last time with George Haworth's fourth letter that was written sometime around March of 1706 (Quaker calendar).

We now fast forward four years to the next letter, which George has written to his brother.  
"I received thy letter dated 18th of Ist mo: 1710 being very glad to hear from you but finding in it that my dear and aged Mother is deceased the thoughts of it made me mourn yet hoping that it is well with her and that all flesh is mortal, I take it as patiently as I can, therefore dear Brother these are to let thee understand that I am in good health hoping thou art the same with my love to my Sisters and Brother Isaac and to my cousins and all my relations in general; give my love to John Ormerod and family and to all that asketh after me..."  How sad to find out by mail that your mother has passed away.  And I am sure it was not a real timely letter.  She may have been gone for some time.  (All italics are excerpts from George’s letters, as written.(1))     

George is still unmarried and continues to be a weaver but apparently is looking at the possibilities of doing something different.  "I am unmarried and followeth weaveing, and am full employed therewith, but haveing some thoughts of altering my condition hoping its for the better..."

He must have married, shortly after posting this letter, because in the next letter he sent to Brother James, in 1712, he tells of his new wife that he married in 1710.  "I am settled on my own land, I have been married about 2 years we have had one child a boy he lived not long, I married my Wife amongst Friends..."   He married Sarah Scarborough, daughter of John and Mary Scarborough.  John had come over to America in 1682 with his father John.  He stayed but his father returned to England to be with his wife who did not want to come to America.  More on the Scarborough's, in a future blog.

George reports on his sister Mary, "Sister Mary was in good health last I heard from her," and he remembers to send his love to the other siblings still there, in England, "...give my kind love to Sister and Brothers and Cousins and to all my relations."


He states a concern for one of his relative's children, but it is not clear where he heard that there was something to be concerned about.  "I am concern'd sometimes for some of my relations, as Uncle Henrys children for fear there is not care taken of them, Dear Brother if it be not too much trouble for thee to send me one of them over, or any of my cousins or any other Boy; if thou be free to send me one over I will give him a good trade or if any be minded to come I will pay their passage here or send thee return, Here is no want for victuals or clothing here it is a good Country for you people to come into."


His state of mind seems to be sad, probably because of his mother but may be a culmination of wanting to look for other work or his distance from home, just to name a few.  "So dear Brother as it is well with thee both outwardly and inwardly, pray for me that it may be so with me and that especially that I may be strengthened in the inward man, that we may feel each other daily strengthened in that pure faith that carrieth us thro' all exercises if we keep to it. 0 dear Brother so I say, I desire thy prayers for me, tho' I be but as one of the hindermost of the flock, yet that I may lose no more ground, for I have more need than many others to keep to that which God hath made known to me..."  I like how he uses the term "hindermost of the flock" to express his distance from his homeland.  He still shows signs of homesickness.  Maybe that will change, now that he is married!

Today's Terri's Tidbit:  I need your help!!  I would like to take some of the blog posts and make them into a book.  Do you have a favorite place that you would use for converting blogs to books? Please leave me a comment if you do.  Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!  

_______________________________________________________
(1)George's letters can be found in many publications but most notably in: 
    Early Letters from Pennsylvania, 1699-1722
    George Haworth The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography
    Vol. 37, No. 3 (1913), pp. 330-340

No comments: